Town 0 v 1 Fulham

Fulham progressed to round three of the Carabao Cup after a 1-0 victory over Town at Portman Road.

The Teams

Paul Lambert made seven changes from Sunday’s victory over Wigan, with only James Wilson, Toto Nsiala, Jon Nolan and Andre Dozzell retaining their places in the side.

Notably Flynn Downes was included in the squad for the first time this season, amongst the substitutes, alongside the likes of James Norwood, Luke Chambers and Alan Judge.

Oli Hawkins was given his first start in competitive action since his summer arrival from Portsmouth. Armando Dobra was also handed a rare opportunity to impress Lambert, starting alongside Gwion Edwards either side of Hawkins.

Scott Parker also rotated his pack, making nine changes from Saturday’s 3-0 defeat to Arsenal, with Alphonse Areola, Kenny Tete, Mario Lemina and Anthonee Robinson all making their Fulham debuts.

Aleksandar Mitrovic was handed his first start of the season after starting on the bench against Arsenal on Saturday following the international break.

The Action

After a cagey start to the game, Town were began to settle into the game against the Premier League side.

Whilst Fulham were dominating the ball, Town nearly broke the deadlock just before the half hour mark, but after good play from Edwards, Hawkins toe poked his effort wide of goal.

The Premier League side went ahead in 38th minute through Aleksandar Mitrovic. The Fulham captain expectedly headed past Cornell after full-back Kenny Tete was given far too much space to pick out the striker.

The Serbian nearly doubled his tally before the break, but on his occasion Cornell denied Mitrovic as the striker tried to squeeze the ball past the former Northampton stopper.

On the stroke. of half-time Emyr Huws found himself with plenty of time outside the Fulham box. Unfortunately, the midfielder rather lashed his effort comfortably wide of Areola’s goal.

On the hour mark, Cornell produced a brilliant double save to deny Mitrovic a second. The keeper done superbly to steer the striker’s powerful header away from goal and followed that up by saving Cordova-Reid’s follow-up.

The game rather fizzled out in the closing stages, with both teams seemingly settling for the 1-0 scoreline. Paul Lambert’s men created some good opportunities on the break, but either the final pass or effort on goal was lacking on the night.

Town: Cornell, Donacien, Nsiala (C), Wilson, Kenlock, Nolan (Judge 69), Dozzell (Downes 58), Huws, Dobra, Hawkins (Norwood 69), Edwards.

Subs: Holy, Chambers, Bishop, Sears.

Fulham: Areola, Tete, Odoi, Kebano, Mitrovic (C), Knockaert, De Cordova-Reid, Lemina (Cairney 63), Le Merchand, Anguissa (Reed 69), Robinson.

Subs: Fabri, Hector, Bryan, Cairney, Francois, Cavaleiro.

Man of the Match

Images: Richard Calver / TOTT

Subscribe to our TOTT newsletter to ensure you keep up to date on all things related to Ipswich Town