Bury expelled from EFL as Bolton given extension
Bury have been expelled by the English Football League after a takeover bid from C&N Sporting Risk collapsed.
The League One club had been given until 17:00 BST on Tuesday to complete the deal, having been granted an extension to Friday’s initial deadline.
Bury are the first team to drop out of the EFL since Maidstone’s liquidation in 1992.
League One will comprise 23 clubs for the rest of the season, with only three teams to be relegated.
“When the news broke at Gigg Lane, fans instantly let out a huge cry – for help, of disbelief,” said BBC Radio Manchester’s Mike Minay.
“Fans walked away in instant tears, some crouching down to the floor.”
EFL executive chair Debbie Jevans said it was “one of the darkest days” in the league’s history, and added: “I understand this will be a deeply upsetting and devastating time for Bury’s players, staff, supporters and the wider community.
“There is no doubt today’s news will be felt across the entire football family.”
Town were due to host Bury on November 2 and go to Gigg Lane on March 28.
Bolton have 14 days to find a buyer or prove they have the funds to complete the season, or they will be expelled from the English Football League.
The EFL suspended the withdrawal notice while Bolton, in administration since May, negotiated a proposed takeover by Football Ventures (Whites) Limited.
It appeared the sale collapsed on Saturday, with administrators saying the club was close to liquidation.
Bolton’s administrators, however, retain hope a deal can be found to save their club, with a statement from David Rubin & Partners saying: “All parties have been in continuous dialogue throughout the day (Tuesday) and are working closely together this evening in order to bring a deal to completion.
“We will continue to work through the night if necessary. There will be a further update as soon as possible.”